The eCommerce Payment landscape has become increasingly complex in recent years. With a myriad of new technologies and solutions emerging, it can be hard to know where to start when it comes to choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store.
Image Source: Naipo.de / Unsplash
There are many factors to consider when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce business, but we’ve compiled a list of the 10 most important things to keep in mind:
Choose an Appropriate Payment Flow
When it comes to eCommerce payments, there are two main types of payment flows: redirect and embedded.
Redirect payments take the customer away from your website to a third-party site to complete the transaction. This is the most common type of payment flow used by eCommerce stores.
Embedded payments, on the other hand, keep the customer on your website throughout the entire transaction. The payment form is “embedded” into your checkout page, which can provide a better user experience and increase conversion rates.
Study Payment Methods
There are many different types of payment methods available for eCommerce stores, so it’s important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each before making a decision.
Some of the most popular payment methods used by eCommerce stores include:
- Credit and Debit Cards: The most common type of payment method used by eCommerce stores. Credit and debit cards are processed through a payment gateway.
- PayPal: One of the largest online payment processors in the world. PayPal offers buyers protection against fraud and allows for quick and easy payments.
- Apple Pay: A mobile payment system that allows users to make purchases with their iPhone or iPad. Apple Pay is processed through the Apple iCloud system.
- Google Pay: A mobile payment system that allows users to purchase with their Android device. Google Pay is processed through the Google Wallet system.
Make Customers Feel Safe and Secure
Image Source: JESHOOTS-com / Pixabay
Security is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store. Your customers need to feel safe and secure when purchasing on your website, so choosing a payment solution that offers the highest level of security possible is important.
There are many ways to make your eCommerce store more secure, but some of the most common methods include the following:
- Using SSL Certificates: SSL certificates encrypt information that is sent between your website and your customer’s browser, making it nearly impossible for hackers to intercept.
- Implementing 3D Secure: 3D Secure is an additional layer of security that requires customers to enter a one-time password (OTP) when making a purchase. This makes it much more difficult for hackers to steal customer information.
- Using PCI-compliant Payment Solutions: PCI compliance is a security standard that all eCommerce businesses must meet. When you use a PCI-compliant payment solution, you can be sure that your customers’ data is safe and secure.
Consider Fees and Service Agreement Requirements
Another important factor to consider when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store is fees. Some payment solutions charge transaction fees, while others charge monthly or annual fees. It’s important to understand the fee structure of each payment solution before making a decision.
In addition to fees, you should also consider the service agreement requirements of each payment solution. Some providers require that you sign a long-term contract, while others allow you to cancel at any time. Make sure you understand the terms of each provider before making a decision.
Choose a Payment Solution That Offers Flexibility
As your eCommerce business grows, your payment needs will change. It’s important to choose a payment solution that offers flexibility so that you can easily adjust as your business grows.
Some of the things you should look for in a flexible payment solution include the following:
- The ability to accept multiple currencies: If you plan on selling internationally, it’s important to choose a payment solution that can accept multiple currencies.
- The ability to scale up: As your eCommerce business grows, you’ll need a payment solution that can handle more transactions. Make sure your chosen provider can easily scale up to meet your needs.
- The ability to integrate with other systems: A good payment solution should be able to seamlessly integrate with the other systems you use, such as your accounting software.
Consider the Checkout Experience
The checkout experience is one of the most important aspects of eCommerce. If your customers have a bad experience during checkout, they are less likely to complete their purchase.
Offer Multiple Shipping Options
Image Source: Mohammed Hassan / Pixabay
Another important factor to consider when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store is shipping. Customers want to know that their purchase will arrive quickly and safely, so it’s important to offer multiple shipping options.
Some of the things you should consider when choosing a shipping solution include the following:
- Ability to track orders: Customers want to be able to track their orders from start to finish. Make sure the shipping solution you choose offers tracking information.
- Multiple delivery options: Customers should have the option to choose between different delivery methods, such as standard shipping, express shipping, or local pickup.
- Affordable shipping rates: Shipping rates can make or break a sale, so it’s important to find a shipping solution that offers affordable rates.
Consider International Sales
If you plan on selling internationally, you need to consider a few things about international sales when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store.
Some of the things you should look for in an international payment solution include the following:
- Accepts Multiple Currencies: You’ll need a payment solution to accept payments in multiple currencies.
- Complies with Local Regulations: Each country has its own laws and regulations surrounding eCommerce. Make sure your chosen provider can help you comply with all relevant laws.
- Ships Internationally: You’ll need a shipping solution to deliver orders to customers in other countries.
Security Should Be a Top Priority
Security should be one of your top priorities when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store. Customers need to know that their personal and financial information is safe when they purchase on your site.
There are many things to consider when it comes to security, but some of the most important things to look for in a secure payment solution include the following:
- PCI Compliance: Any provider you choose should be PCI compliant. This means they meet the security standards set by the Payment Card Industry.
- Data Encryption: Ensure your chosen provider uses data encryption to protect customers’ information.
- Fraud Protection: Choose a provider that offers fraud protection services to help prevent fraudulent transactions on your eCommerce store.
Customer Service Is Important
Image Source: Yan Krukov / Pexels
Customer service is another important factor to consider when choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store. If something goes wrong or a customer has a question, you need to know that someone will be there to help them.
Some of the things you should look for in a customer service-oriented payment solution include the following:
- 24/7 Customer Support: Choose a provider that offers around-the-clock customer support. This way, someone will always be available to help you with any problems or questions you have.
- A Knowledge Base: A good payment solution provider will have a knowledge base full of resources that can help you resolve issues independently.
- A Team of Experts: When all else fails, it’s important to have a team of experts you can rely on. Make sure the provider you choose has a team of skilled customer service representatives who can help you with any problems you encounter.
When it comes to choosing a payment solution for your eCommerce store, there are many factors to consider. But if you keep these 11 things in mind, you’ll be well on your way to finding the perfect provider for your business.