The main objective for any small business owner is to sell as many products and services as they can. Though there are a lot of layers to successfully making sales, the largest component of that is marketing. By effectively positioning your business in front of your target audience as a solution to a common problem, you increase the likelihood of turning them into sales.
As marketing is constantly changing, it is necessary for a business owner to first establish and then continually update or improve their marketing plan. This plan should essentially outline that various methods you’ll use to reach your target audience.
There are a plethora of tools and platforms that can be used to execute your marketing plan. Therefore, you’ll need to find the right combination to focus on. Below, are some of the most effective methods of marketing.
1. A Company Website
Whether an eCommerce business or a brick-and-mortar, a company website is a necessary component to your marketing strategy. Approximately 65% of all consumers conduct online product research before making a purchase. One of the first places they check is the company website. The site will provide them with insight on the company, the products, the costs, and how to make a purchase. A well-designed website should include:
- Easy to read content
- Clear navigation instructions
- A clear history of your company
- Contact information
- Calls to action
- A full view of your products, services, and their benefits
Though digital marketing has become the new trend, there are still traditional forms of advertising that can make a powerful statement about your brand. Providing clear visuals and/or audio of what your brand is and what you have to offer your target audience can help you stand out from your competition. Some methods you might use for advertising your business include:
- Digital Signage – Large graphic signs have always been a great way of attracting the attention of passersby. From billboards to store displays, well-designed signs provide a clear message of what your brand is and what solutions you have that could prove beneficial to your audience. Digital signage displays, for instance, can be installed in corporate centers, shopping malls, and even outdoor public areas. Cool graphics and digital features take it a step further than a stagnate billboard and increase the chances of attracting the attention of customers.
- Vehicle Advertising – Whether you go all out with custom graphics and designs, or you only have the budget to afford vehicle magnets, vehicle advertising really does work. Unlike other forms of advertisement like newspaper ads which will only be posted for a few days, vehicle wraps, and magnets are paid for upfront and continue to bring in new business.
3. Email Marketing
There are millions of online users daily, and each of them likely has an email account which they check periodically, if not, daily. Email marketing is an effective digital marketing strategy that has been used by businesses of all sizes. Email marketing campaigns can effectively be used for promoting new products and services, notifying readers of upcoming promotions and deals, gaining insight or feedback on your brand, and even informing your email contacts of the industry. An effective email marketing campaign should include:
- The right email marketing platform
- Great subject lines
- Easy to read and understand
- Relevant content
- Targeted at the right audience
- Sent at the right time
4. Social Media Marketing
Just as no marketing plan should start without a company website, no marketing plan is complete without social media. Social media has become the mecca of communication for more than just family and friends, but for businesses and their target audience. Companies have free, unlimited, and instant access to millions of users and should take full advantage of it. A successful social media marketing campaign should include:
- Business accounts on the appropriate platforms to reach your target audience
- Relatable, relevant content
- Well drafted, compelling, and easy to read content
- Posts that provide value to visitors
- Strong methods for generating leads
- Provide company information such as events
- Have clear calls to action and contact information
- Several methods for measuring success
The key to getting sales is first getting your brand out there. To do that, you will need to develop a marketing plan that works best for your small business. By identifying with your target audience, finding out which methods they use to conduct business and research, and ultimately positioning your business efficiently on those platforms, you can greatly increase the success of your brand.