Discover the steps to send a mail merge and why it can benefit anyone and their business
Whether you are a business owner, digital content creator, or someone who likes to stay in touch with friends and family, using a mail merge can be extremely helpful. It will allow you to send emails to hundreds or thousands of readers with the click of a single button. In addition, you can use mail merge tools to view analytics on who opens your emails, what kind of subject lines work best, and more. Learn how to send a mail merge and why you should incorporate it into your routine — it can drive more sales, increase viewership, and create a community within your brand.
Steps to Send a Mail Merge and the Benefits of Doing So
How to Send a Mail Merge
Image courtesy of Pexels
Below are the basic steps to send a mail merge:
- Create or build an email list that includes readers in your target audience who subscribe to your newsletters or updates or a list of friends you want to contact — you will do this in Excel or Google Sheets.
- Prepare and design the email you will send out, along with any documents you wish to include.
- Link your mailing list to your email that you crafted. Depending on your email platform or mail merge software, that will determine how you transfer your addresses into your emailing list. For example, in Outlook, you would go to Mailings, Select Recipients, and choose your data source.
- Personalize the email by adding a greeting line specific to each subscriber you are sending the message.
- Read over your email one last time for any mistakes or grammatical errors before sending it out.
- With the click of a button, your message will be sent to all recipients on your mailing list.
The Benefits of Using Mail Merge
As noted before, using a mail merge to send emails can make it easier to send the message to many recipients at once. It can also allow you to be more creative in your messages because, in most cases, there are templates and graphics that you can use when designing your email. With different templates, colors, fonts, and photos, there are countless ways to personalize your messages to match your brand and target your audience. For example, if you would like to add your written signature to the end of the email, some services can do that for you. On the other hand, maybe you aren’t too creative but want to have a simple way to put together a professional email — the various templates can give you precisely what you need.
With a designed email, you are already giving your company a more professional look. It can add credibility, gain trust, and develop a following. If you have specific emails that you would like to go out to particular subscribers, you can create different lists to match each group. When you are putting together and sending each email, it will take a lot less time because you already have subscriber lists built. One of the most significant benefits of using a mail merge service is the amount of time you and your business will be saving. It will allow you to spend more time on more critical tasks.
Different Types of Emails to Send Using a Mail Merge
Image courtesy of Pexels
Now that you understand how to use a mail merge and what the benefits are, you may be curious about what kind of emails your business could start using in your new marketing strategy. Of course, there are endless possibilities, and mail merge services can customize them for the specific needs of your industry, but there are a few that are very popular. Below is a list of different types of emails you can gain inspiration from when starting your mail merge journey:
- Message from the CEO
- Quartley company updates
- Behind the scenes of the business
- Recent nominations or awards
- Important updates
- Coupons or deals
- Business changes that impact customers
- Product how-tos
- Tip of the month
- A survey or poll for subscribers
- New hire highlights
- New training opportunities
There are endless ways to incorporate email marketing into your business, ultimately leading to more sales. Utilizing technology to send a mail merge to subscribers can give readers valuable information, updates, and discounts regarding your company. It can not only lead to sales, but it can be a way to make sure your customers are feeling valued and respected. Consider using a mail merge service to save you time, make you more money, and gain advocates for your products or services.