Top Tips to Know About Unoccupied House Insurance During the Probate Process

Probate is the process of examining and transferring the assets of a deceased person’s estate. A probate court often examines a property owner’s assets when he dies. The court makes the ultimate decision on how assets are divided and distributed to beneficiaries. Frequently, this will include real estate.

House keys

Most standard house insurance plans provide that if a property is left unoccupied for more than a specified length of time, generally 30 to 90 days depending on the policy, coverage will be lowered or even cancelled. In this case, it’s usually a good idea to get unoccupied house insurance coverage.

A vacant house will require specialized home insurance during probate since the danger of damage from basic maintenance concerns like water leaks, and the chance of break-in and vandalism is increased.

Unoccupied Property Insurance During the Probate Process

When someone dies, an administrator or executor is in charge of gathering and dispersing the deceased’s assets. Because such homes are frequently left vacant for long periods, traditional home insurance is not as useful.

The executor/administrator is responsible for safeguarding the deceased’s assets, and they need probate home insurance. This process requires specialized coverage, which is commonly referred to as Unoccupied Property Insurance.

Is It Possible for a Person to Cover Property That Isn’t in Their Name?

If you want to receive this kind of coverage, you’ll need to show that you have an “insurable interest” in the property. The insurance can bear your name with other beneficiaries listed as extra policyholders (typically as a trustee or executor).

Why is it more expensive to insure an empty house?

Vacant properties are more vulnerable than inhabited ones. Even homes that are well taken care of may swiftly deteriorate if no one is there to identify problems, such as leaks, and repair them before they do too much harm. Burglary and vandalization are more likely to occur in vacant homes. Insurers may require you to examine the property (or have an agent assess it) every seven days, as well as to install an alarm system or replace the locks.

The insurance cost for unoccupied houses varies depending on the provider and policy. If the property is located in a high-crime area, for example, your insurance rate will most likely reflect this. When looking for a policy, it’s also a good idea to compare the policy covers of different insurers to make sure they’re comparable, as the additional policy covers typically mean a little higher cost.

The length of time the property has been or will be vacant will also affect your premium. After five years, limits usually kick in, limiting your coverage to fire, lightning, earthquakes, and explosions only.

What Does Unoccupied House Insurance Cover?

When a property is left empty after the previous owner passes away, insurance ensures that the basic components of protection are maintained. To put it another way:

  • Structures insurance, which safeguards the structure and fabric of the building.
  • Contents insurance, which protects the contents from theft, loss, or damage.
  • Visitors, neighbours, or members of the public who are injured or have their property destroyed following interaction with the deceased’s empty property – including trespassers who may have entered the house unlawfully – are covered by public liability insurance.

Making a Claim on Your Empty House Insurance

Check with your insurers to see if there are any particular restrictions regarding how to file a claim, such as if you must contact them right away or file a police report.

There are a few more things to think about before filing a claim:

  • Bonus for no-claims: If you haven’t claimed in a long time, insurers may frequently give you a reduction in your rates. If you file a claim, you’ll forfeit the bonus, which means your premiums will almost certainly increase.
  • Excess: The money a person pays toward a claim before an insurer covers the rest is known as the excess. It can be costly in some circumstances, so think about whether it’s better to keep your no-claims bonus and pay for the damage yourself.

Reach out to the Current Home Insurers

As quickly as possible, contact the property’s current home insurance carrier. The business will need to be notified of the homeowner’s death, and a copy of the death certificate may be required. Some insurance providers will prolong a homeowner’s existing coverage until it expires. On the other hand, others may only cover the property for 30 days or terminate the policy immediately.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *