From 2019 to 2028, software engineers will have promising careers in Canada since software engineers and computer programmers are predicted to have an increasing demand in the Canadian job market.
Software engineers fall under Information Technology (IT) and other related occupations with the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) code 2713 under NOC Class A.
In this article, we outline how to apply for software engineering jobs in Canada in three simple steps.
Step 1: Do your research
First, you want to ensure that you target the right cities in Canada that suit your skills as a software engineer and have a high demand for engineering positions. A good place to start your research and application process would be the Job Bank, Canada’s official government website for job postings. You can:
- Create a plus account for job seekers and complete your “job seekers” profile.
- Different job postings will have different preferred methods of how you can apply. Be sure to read the methods suggested by the recruiter before applying. These methods may include mail, telephone, email, fax, online, and sharing your resume on Job Bank.
Step 2: Check your eligibility and apply through the right program
The first thing you want to do is check if you meet the criteria for the program you’re applying for. It is important to note that the Express Entry is not a visa application program. Rather, it is a database that the Canadian government uses to assess eligibility and select the right candidates.
The Express Entry system has three relevant categories: Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, and Federal Skilled Trades Program, tailored for different needs and circumstances. Software Engineers looking to apply through the Express Entry program can also apply to the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
To immigrate as a Software Engineer through the PNP, you can check the services and information they offer here.
Step 3: Check if you have the right skills for the job
Applicants applying for the software engineering occupation must meet the minimum employment requirements. These are:
- A bachelor’s degree in the stipulated field of studies such as computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering, or any other related field of study.
- A necessary licensing is required within the field by a legitimate body such as a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers.
- Software engineers should be registered upon completion of graduation from a valid course, as well as previous three to four years of work experience in the stipulated field of study and pass a professional practice examination.
- Experience in computer programming is a standard.
When it comes to professional certification and licensing, software engineers would have to obtain certification from a regulatory body before they can officially start working. To do this, you would have to ensure that the occupation is regulated in your province or territory.
You should also be able to fulfill the job duties as a software engineer. Below are some job duties listed under this occupation:
- Document and collect user requirements and develop logical and physical specifications.
- Research and evaluate technical information for computer systems and mobile applications.
- Develop and process data.
- Plan and design the installation of mobile applications for computer systems.
- Evaluate, test and troubleshoot the procedures for maintenance and operating systems.Facilitate the necessary guidance for teams on procedures and processes involved in operating systems and other technical tasks.
Other titles for software engineers may include:
- embedded software engineer;
- software design verification engineer;
- systems integration engineer – software;
- telecommunications software engineer;
- software testing engineer;
- technical architect – software;
- application architect;
- computer software engineer;
- software design engineer;
- software architect;
- software designer
The median wage per hour is $48.08 for software engineers. Though Software Engineering is a well-paid job in Canada, salary ranges will differ from region to region.
Canada urges foreign nationals to fill the labour shortages for software developers and engineers
Canada is predicted to have a labour shortage of software engineers throughout 2019-2028. This means that Canada would have to upgrade its IT infrastructure and employ new technologies to accommodate the influx of foreign nationals filling the labour shortage gaps in this occupation.
Moving to another country can be a daunting yet exciting opportunity for you and your family. First, however, you want to make sure you’re doing thorough research and choosing a program that suits your needs and circumstances. Canada has over 100 immigration programs and visas to choose from, making your move to the northern country more convenient.
For more information about the best cities to find jobs in Canada as a software engineer, go now to CanadianVisa.org, a leading immigration consulting agency.