Car-sharing ride services such as Uber & Lyft have become an affordable and feasible way to commute for Americans. Many people avoid public transit and prefer to take an Uber or a Lyft ride.
Although ride-hailing services are convenient, an increasing number of Uber & Lyft accidents have become a cause of worry. However, these accidents are complicated and finding out who was at fault while using a ridesharing service can be a little more difficult than in a traditional car crash.
If you are injured while using Uber or Lyft in the Atlanta area, you should immediately contact a qualified Atlanta Uber & Lyft accident attorney. These lawyers have the knowledge to represent your case and can help you win the maximum compensation.
How do Rideshare Mishaps Occur?
Here are the top causes of Uber & Lyft accidents.
- Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of ridesharing accidents. It includes driving behavior such as texting, using GPS, talking on the phone, etc.
- Inexperienced driver: Unlike taxicab companies, ridesharing companies do not have rigorous standards for drivers. It is easy to become a ridesharing driver, and their inexperienced driving may lead to accidents.
- Speeding: It’s commonly noted that Uber & Lyft drivers overspeed to reach a destination quickly.
- Breaking traffic regulations: Every ridesharing driver must obey traffic rules and regulations. However, many drivers often breach their duty of care by running stop signs, exceeding the speed limit, ignoring traffic lights and so on.
- Driving when weary or drowsy: Ridesharing is a 24×7 job, and unlike the trucking industry, there are not many regulations in the ridesharing industry. This makes it easy for drivers to pick up an Uber or a Lyft ride whenever possible. Long hours of driving can lead to drowsiness and is responsible for many accidents.
- Driving when impaired by drink or drugs: Driving under the influence of alcohol or other illegal substances is risky and puts the drivers and other passengers at serious risk.
What to do After a Rideshare Accident?
There are several important steps to take after you have been involved in an Uber/Lyft accident.
- It is imperative to call 911 for medical assistance and to report any Uber or Lyft accident to the police.
- Rear-end collisions can often result in soft tissue injuries like whiplash injuries. Visit a doctor as soon as possible, even when you feel no major injury. Severe internal injuries do not show any symptoms instantly.
- When claiming compensation for personal injury, collecting the following details at the crime scene may be helpful.
- Photos of the accident site, vehicles after the accident, weather conditions, road conditions, etc.
- Name, contact information, and address of any witnesses to the accident.
- Rideshare driver’s name and contact information
- Click a screenshot from the Uber or Lyft app of the ride.
Why do you Need a Lawyer to Deal With Insurance Companies?
Since several parties may be held accountable for your injuries in rideshare accident cases, Uber & Lyft accident cases can be complicated. Dealing with insurance companies, especially when they represent large organizations like Uber and Lyft, is a significant barrier in ridesharing accident claims.
Knowledgeable rideshare accident attorneys help you obtain the maximum compensation, despite insurance companies’ best efforts to reject low-ball settlement offers.
Things To Know After As A Passenger
- Uber passengers are not held liable except in the most unusual circumstances,
- If the ridesharing car driver is at fault, their insurance company will pay for the injuries and property damage.
- If the driver is uninsured, Uber/Lyft would cover the cost of bodily injuries. You can obtain a fair compensation amount from the insurance company of Uber or Lyft.
Compensation for injuries sustained in accidents involving Uber and Lyft can be very complex. An attorney can help you recover the rightful compensation.